How Clean Air helps students?
Children spend around one-third of their day at school. Therefore, its important that the school provides not only good infrastructure in terms of teaching but also with respect to clean air. Research has shown poor indoor air quality can be quite detrimental to student’s performance and attendance.
Dirty air at school, in addition to affecting the cardiovascular and respiratory health, also negatively impacts cognition and performance of the school children.
What makes air dirty in the schools?
Many schools are located in close proximity to busy roads, and traffic air pollution peaks when children are at school. Some of the sources of air pollutants found inside the schools are
- Pet dander
- Dust mites
- Cleaning agents
- Particle pollution
- Second-hand smoke
- Viruses and bacteria
Clean air is essential in schools and let’s understand WHY?
1)Improved cognitive function: Studies have shown that good air quality can enhance cognitive abilities, including attention, memory, and problem-solving skills. Studies have shown breathing polluted air impairs the brain functions.
- Nitrogen dioxide, for example, was linked to impaired working memory, general cognitive functions, and psychomotor functions
- Particulate matter 2.5 was linked to difficulties in working memory, short-term memory, attention, processing speed, and fine motor function;
- Black carbon was linked to poor verbal intelligence, nonverbal intelligence, and working memory;
- Airborne copper was linked to impaired attentiveness and fine motor skills
- Isophorone was linked to lower mathematical skills; and
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in fetal life were linked to lower intelligence scores.
2) Enhanced Focus and Concentration: Poor indoor air quality can lead to discomfort and distractions, making it difficult for students to concentrate on their studies. Particulate matter has been shown to reduce attention. Clean air helps in improving focus
3) Asthma, allergies and Headaches: The pollutants in the air could be a trigger for asthma, allergies and migraines. Children are especially vulnerable to respiratory damage caused by dirty air as their lungs are still developing. Clean air can help with managing asthma and allergies and thereby helping with students’ performance at school. When asthma is well controlled, students are ready to learn.
4) Viruses and other airborne infections: Infections like Covid-19, Influenza, Pneumonia, and Pertussis are all airborne. These serious illnesses can be prevented if the air is filtered. Schools that did not install air purifiers in their classrooms had 3 to 4 times more SARS-CoV-2 cases.
5)Reduced absenteeism: Asthma is one of the leading causes of school absenteeism causing an estimated 13.8 million lost school days in children ages 5-17. The major trigger of asthma at schools is known to be pollutants like mold. Bad air quality can also affect the attendance of teachers due to illnesses.
6) A Supportive Environment for Teachers: Teachers play a crucial role in a student's educational journey. Their health is as crucial as the students in the school. Clean air not only benefits students but also supports the well-being of educators, enabling them to create a positive and engaging learning atmosphere.
7) Improved mental health: The most concerning component from air pollution which causes brain damage is Particulate matter or PM2.5. And this can be cleared from your air with air filtration.
What can be done to clean air in the schools?
- Monitor the air quality
- Use ventilation when weather and safety conditions allow
- Filter the air with a high performing HEPA air purifier such as Airpura UV700 in lunch areas, classrooms, rooms where studying takes place even at home.
- Wear a mask while the outdoor air is polluted and when cases of infections are high.
- Educate the students on indoor and outdoor air quality. Sustainable practices should be advocated to save the environment
Investing in good air quality is an investment in the future of our students. By prioritizing clean air in schools, we can create an environment that fosters learning, creativity, and overall well-being. As an air purification company, we are committed to providing solutions that contribute to the success and prosperity of students and educators alike. Together, we can pave the way for a brighter and healthier future.